All it takes to get our tear ducts working are the first four notes of “My Heart Will Go On.” The 1997 epic Titanic will forever be a romantic classic—but nothing’s perfect.
1. Pretty much every map on board director James Cameron’s Titanic is an anachronism.
2. Jack’s rucksack wouldn’t have existed in 1909.
It’s a standard-issue Swedish Army rucksack from the year 1939. We’re not sure how the IMDb contributor who pointed this out knows that, but let’s just assume that there are rucksack historians out there on the internet and move on.
3. Titanic famously included underwater footage of the actual wreck.
4. Cameron even managed to get the dramatic sinking scenes wrong in small ways.
5. Jack’s first visit to the grand staircase is flawed.
6. We don’t want to ruin “I’m the king of the world!” for you, but we can’t help pointing this out.