Everyone loves mobile food trucks, right?
1. The business is bigger than you think.
2. Start-up costs are insane.
3. Food truck owners buy property.
4. Owners go through the black market.
“In the early 1980’s the city imposed a cap on vendor permits, up to 4,000, and it hasn’t changed since, which makes it impossible to get a permit of your own,” Basinski said. “If you don’t want to wait 20 years, you have to go onto the black market which is expensive and risky and filled with intrigue.”
5. Food trucks can be dangerous and risky.
6. The stakes are high.
7. Some businesses operate illegally and that comes with consequences.